Thursday, April 24, 2008

Peace

January, 2008

I have a peace that doesn’t make sense.

If you look at my life on paper right now, there’s reason to panic (which I do every now and then; however, it’s brief). I thought I would be in a new position by this time. I thought I would be receiving a paycheck from my next employer. I thought I’d be able to move health insurance from one group to another. I thought things would be more clear. I thought my next season would be realized in 2007.

Instead I’m living in the Land of Unknown. And trusting God like never before. Some of you remember Rev. Bill Putnam praying over me in October; what a chord he struck when he prayed against a spirit of fear—fear of the unknown.

Fear robs. Fear of tomorrow robs me of today. As does dwelling on the past. I’ve learned that much during the last several months. If I spend too much time reviewing yesterday or too much time worrying about the future, well, I may just miss today’s sunrise. Robbed! That’s what I’d be.

I’m remembering a rabbi who once said each day has enough trouble of its own, how tomorrow will worry about itself. I’m concluding He knew what He was talking about.

So I’ve been telling fear where to go (literally! In the Name of Jesus). I’ve been positioning myself to listen to God in the Mary Geegh style.* I’ve been receiving prayers and gifts from His people.

I’ve been resting. Resting in Him.
I’ve been trusting. Trusting in Him.

My soul resonates with Habakkuk’s prayer (3:17-18):

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.


The result of such “even though . . . yet will I praise” language?

Peace.

Peace that makes no sense.

Peace that passes all understanding.


* God Guides by Mary Geegh, Pray America, P.O. Box 14070, Lansing, MI, 48901-4070, ph. 517-374-6116, prayamer@tir.com

1 comment:

Cindy said...

you, my friend, are living in "the land between." if you have an opportunity should you listen to the sermon series on that very subject by my pastor. Go to http://www.adabible.org/weekend_services/audio_archive.php Scroll down until you find "The Land Between." There are 3 sermons in that series.