February, 2008
Four ordinary objects:
a cat
a houseplant
a garden globe
a sunflower
What do they have to do with light?
What lessons might they teach a child of the light?
1. Cat: Regardless of her fur coat, our cat gravitates toward the heat. She finds any available sunlight and stretches into it. Day after day, she lounges contentedly in the rays, tempting me. So I tried it. Grabbing a pillow and a blanket, I positioned myself one afternoon on the floor with the cat. It required a bit of effort to align with the sunlight. Reposition. Feel the warmth. Adjust slightly. Nice. Ah, a true cat nap.
What if I positioned myself every day to receive the light?
2. Houseplant: A plant with heart-shaped leaves used to be one of several varieties crowded into a funeral planter I received when Grandma died. Separated, repotted and now enjoying an east window, how this happy plant reaches for the light! I’m surprised at how often I must turn the pot in order for all the leaves to benefit.
What if I intentionally reached for the light?
3. Globe: A solar-powered garden globe soaks in the sun over the course of the day and then illumines the night with a lovely, soft glow--evidence the globe has been in the presence of the light.
What if I soaked in the light and reflected that light into the darkness? Even chased the darkness?
4. Sunflower: I purchased a sunflower calendar. One photo remains etched in my memory, as the photographer shot a sunflower field from behind. The audience sees the green backsides of hundreds and hundreds of sunflowers—sunflowers that all face and all follow the sun (with the exception of one rebellious sunflower who faces the camera).
What if together we seek the light, pursue the light, and follow the light?
What if?
Thursday, April 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment