Ever wonder how God speaks today?
I remember the 2007 August morning when I told God I liked His pine trees. While seated on the deck, I noticed the difference between two varieties a previous homeowner planted decades ago, and I marveled at the abundant pine cone clusters near the top. That’s when I spoke the praise.
A sudden gust of wind roared through the yard. The pine branches lifted and bowed. They seemed to dance! Is that you, Lord? I wondered.
The next day as I read through the last chapter of Hosea, I caught my breath on these words from God: I am like a green pine tree; your fruitfulness comes from me.
Since then, I often speak this verse when I see pine trees. On morning walks with a friend, she’ll catch my gaze sometimes and ask if I’m recalling my pine-tree verse. Yes!
More than one year later, October, 2008, I went forward for prayer at a Dunamis conference (www.prmi.org). I chose not to give much information. The woman who prayed with me sensed an image she didn’t understand, and told me I would have to help her out a bit. She asked, “Does a pine cone mean anything to you?” I nodded. “This type of pine cone,” she continued, “only releases its seed through fire.” Really, Lord?
Fast forward to the recent morning walk as I slipped on ice and broke my left wrist: Caught in the medical web between one hospital’s medical center and another hospital’s emergency room, and X-rays that may not follow me from one facility to the next, I started to fret. Although I thanked God for the health insurance I purchased one year ago, in the next breath I reminded Him of the high deductible.
The Med Center doctor agreed to email the X-rays to another Med Center where I could pick up the file on the way to ER. At this intermediate stop, I told my husband I’d like to wait in the car and cry. He understood. He pulled partially through the turnaround and parked. As he exited, I leaned into the passenger-side window and . . .
. . . faced a pine tree wearing a dozen or more pine cones! I laughed. I cried.
There’s more to Hosea 14:8 too. I’m now contemplating the first part of the verse during this ongoing, uncertain, life season:
I will answer (her) and care for (her). I am like a green pine tree; your fruitfulness comes from me.
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment